What is Pratt Institute?
Pratt is an art/design school located in Brooklynn, New York. It is considered to be one of the best fashion design school in the United States.
How do I apply?
To apply, you will have to create an account to submit the non-portfolio part of you application. Your portfolio will be submitted through Slideroom. For exact instruction on how to apply, visit here: Pratt Undergraduate Admissions
What is required for the fashion design admissions portfolio?
Although you may have already decided to major in fashion design, you will first have to apply to the foundation year program. Foundation year consists of a variety of art courses that will provide as a basis for the rest of your education. So, you will be submitting a fine arts portfolio. The fine arts portfolio consists of 20 pieces.
Do grades/test scores matter?
Yes, grades and ACT or SAT scores are considered. However, it is possible to get in with grades and scores that aren’t very good if you have an absolutely stellar portfolio.
Tips/Tricks from an Accepted Student:
- Make sure to start your application as soon as possible. Start creating art work for your portfolio and start drafting out some possible essay ideas. You want your portfolio to reflect your work over a long period of time, and you don’t want to rush anything.
- Include a variety of mediums and subjects. Try to only include works done from observation not done through the grid method or from photographs. If you do include pieces not done from observation make sure they are tweaked in some way to show your creativity.
- The ideas behind the pieces are just as important as the skills shown. You should show your artistic ability, but make sure to show your ideas as well. Your creativity will make you stand out.
- Make sure to include talk about your design process and why you create art in your essay. Think about what makes you unique as an artist.
- If you can, look into Pratt’s summer pre-college classes. I have not taken any pre-college classes, but I think they would be helpful with the application process.
- You can scan your work or take pictures of your work, but make sure that the pictures are high quality and show your designs well.
Ask Pratt for more information here: http://www.pratt.edu/admissions/request_information/